Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Things We've Learned

    So, things have been pretty smooth over the past few days. I haven't had much to say blog-wise. We're getting into a routine over here and just waiting for the girls to hit the 7 1/2 pound mark so that we can change the routine and get back into a new one (we'll be able to let the girls sleep longer and not have to wake them every 3 hours for feedings at that point). Mike has dreams of them sleeping 8 hours through the first night. I have that dream too - though I realize how extremely unrealistic it is. I'll settle for 4 hours really. We've been taking walks in the park as often as the weather allows. We try to get out in the morning before it gets too hot out. The girls usually sleep through the whole 2 mile walk around the park, though Lia woke up for a little while yesterday and was so cute with the way she was peeking around so curiously. We took the girls to their first bbq this weekend too. We've been trying to do as much outdoors as we can since other than being in our own home, we can't bring the girls to any indoor places. Tomorrow we have to take Maddie to the hospital for her bloodwork - keeping our fingers crossed that the results are good and she doesn't have to go back into the NICU for yet another blood transfusion. Then Thursday they have another weigh-in at the pediatrician's office, so we're looking forward to that to see how the girls have progressed with their weight. It's been a week and a half....and here are some things we've come to realize...

            • Never go anywhere with baby gear (ie, stroller) that you haven't tested out in advance to ensure that you know how to work it - otherwise, you'll look like a big jerk in the parking lot trying to figure it out. On this same note, never assume that you know anything for certain. I could've sworn that Marissa's double stroller was compatible with my car seats and I learned the hard way that I shouldn't make such assumptions, no matter how positive I think I am. It's not that I was unprepared, it was that I brought the wrong equipment. Either way, lesson learned.
            • The girls will ALWAYS poop at the very second that I button the last snap of their pajamas AFTER a new diaper change.
            • Maddie makes her funniest faces at 2am.
            • Just when I think I've learned their sleep patterns, they switch it on me. This is just the beginning of them switching things on me I'm sure.
            • I can go for one full week without sleep before I crash. Mike, on the other hand, can go one night. Haha. After not sleeping for a week, I crashed on Thursday night. So Mike decided to take on my early morning (5am) feeding so that I could get some rest on Friday. He ended up just staying up through the entire night - he was quite the cranky boy all day on Friday. So I sent him to bed at 7pm and took his late night feedings.
            • Whichever baby gets stuck at the far end seat of the stroller gets the impact of all the bumps.
            • I've officially turned into that friend that I make fun of - I never know where my cell phone is - and once I find it, it's not even charged (you can apply this to the cordless landline also).
            • Neither one of the girls like to be second during the 8pm feeding. The other day I was doing the 8pm feeding solo and it was the first time that I felt double teamed by these little critters. It wasn't pretty.

More to learn this week....stay tuned.