Thursday, June 18, 2009

Day 12 and Day 13

Daddy blog today. These past two days have been pretty quiet, with some gains, and only a few small setbacks. The results for Melia's head scan came back, and there are no concerns. They both are scheduled for another scan on the fourth of July. Both girls are progressing well with their feedings. Lia is up to 14ml and Maddie is taking in 12. Dr. Kamtorn told us that they will keep increasing the feedings so long as both girls can handle it. The short term goal is to get them at a high enough dosage that they can come off the IV's. That way they would be getting all of their nutrition from mommy's milk.

Melia hit 3 lbs tonight! I think that would qualify her as a keeper! Maddie is up to 2 lbs 4 oz. She needs to get some rest, and gain some more weight. But she is the mover and shaker of the group. I think she would make a great gangster, cause she is always sleeping with one eyed open.

Maddie had a busy day. She needed a new IV because their little veins dry up so quickly. It was tough to hear her cry like that, as they tried to find a new vein. I had to look away. But she is a loud little thing. After her IV, it was time for daddy to change a diaper. Well, I think she was saving this one. Lets just say I made a mess of her incubator. There are certain steps that you need to take, and I missed a few. We have quite a bit of laundry tonight, because her sister also had a special present for me. It got on their backs, on their sheets, in all these cracks and crevices. I made a mess of the place, but I learned a few important lessons. For example, do not get rid of the dirty diaper until the girls are done going. I pulled away a diaper early, and I think I squeezed some more out of Lia by accident. It was traumatic. But at least I'm making these mistakes in an incubator.


Both girls got baths tonight, and Amanda watched Lia's. So maybe we will be able to partake in this soon. Lia's bilirubin is back up, so she is back under the light. But she rarely opens her eyes anyway, so I don't think her blinders bother her.

Amanda's mom visited yesterday, so the girls had some quality time with Grandma which we know they enjoyed! I can't believe that tomorrow is 2 weeks already. I'm hoping for another positive week next week, and watching for more small milestones.