Sunday, June 21, 2009

It's not just Thursdays that have taken on new meaning...

Daddy blog...just got home from my first Father's Day dinner. It's been a great day that started off with breakfast in bed and a present from my girls. They got me a printer to go along with a new camera that I just bought to take lots of pictures of my little angels. So all of a sudden, I'm THAT dad. The one walking around with a camera hanging around his neck, waiting for the next funny face his kids make.
The girls continue to make small strides each day. Both are off of the IVs and receiving all of their nutrition from their feedings (which makes me feel great because watching/listening to Maddie go through getting an IV put in broke my heart). Maddie was back under phototherapy today because her jaundice started creeping up again. I feel bad when she has to wear those blinders because she's so curious and loves to look around.
They are both continuing their steady weight gain, which is great. Lia is up to 3lbs 2oz and Maddie is up to 2lbs 6.4oz - you can tell that we're happy with any weight gain from Maddie, because we add the point whatever to the ounces. Amanda gave Lia a bath for the first time yesterday. It's so awesome to get to engage with them in these small ways.

Amanda and I used today as a celebration of how far we've come. It's been such a long journey just to get to this point. She has had to sacrifice so much. I gave blood yesterday (to be directed donated to the girls in the likely event that they require more blood transfusions) and it felt like the first thing that I've been able to physically give to my girls. Meanwhile, Amanda had to change everything and give so much as far back as when these little girls were just a hope.


Father's Day has never meant that much to me, but today was like a whole new beginning. Amanda made it a great day and I got to hold Melia for nearly an hour. I can't wait for my next Father's Day....next year, my girls will help their mom make breakfast.
*top picture is Lia - middle picture with the white and purple hat is Maddie - bottom picture is dad holding Lia*