Sunday, September 6, 2009

Okay, I may have gone too far....


We had a bbq to go to today and I was so excited about a new dress that the girls received as a gift - I wanted them - no, in my mind, I NEEDED them to wear this dress today. It's super cute and very summery. Today would be the last possible day for them to wear such a dress - it was a gorgeous day - perfect weather for this adorable litte dress - so they just had to wear these dresses today or they'd probably never wear them. So I put them on this afternoon as I'm getting the girls ready to go and I realize that the sleeves (which are spaghetti strap) are too long, so it makes the dress too big. I put an undershirt underneath it, but it took away from the look of the dress. I stood over Melia on the changing table and thought 'if only these sleeves were shorter it would fit perfectly' - then I thought, 'wait, I can totally make them shorter' - and yes, I did, I busted out my sewing kit (which had dust on it and I'm surprised I even knew where it was) and I stood there, running late as it was, sewing four little spaghetti straps to a lower part of the back of the dress to make the sleeves shorter. It worked like a charm, but here's the kicker...we get to the bbq at just after 3pm and at about 3:15pm, the sun went in and was never to be seen or heard from for the rest of the afternoon. It got chilly by 3:30pm and by 3:45pm the girls had their blankets drapped over them and tucked in all around them. About 3 people actually saw the girls in their cute little freshly strap-shortened dresses - and the rest of the time they were completely covered. Haha. It figures!
Oh, and while I was so consumed in sewing these straps, I forgot about the new nipples that I was sterilizing in boiling water downstairs. I had just bought these nipples in the morning - and now, they were half melted and burnt because I boiled them so long that the water evaporated from the pot they were boiling in. I knew I should've just stuck them in the microwave sterilizer! Haha. What a mess! All for my obsession with dressing the girls in this particular dress that no one saw anyway! So, this blog will make everyone see the dress! ;-)
Oh well! They looked adorable while it lasted - and it was worth all the effort! :-)
 **top left picture is Maddie - middle right picture is Melia**
**bottom center - Maddie is on the left and Melia is on the right**
***check out more pictures in the post just before this one***